Friday, August 1, 2014
Interactive Notebooking - Math
The first thing I did was watch several tutorials on making pocket folder inserts for notebooks. So, I added one to the front of the book and one to the middle as a divider. This is a one subject book, but it will be handy later on in the year when he needs to flip to the back right away. The front pocket contains a piece of cardstock to use as a page saver, to go behind pages he's writing on so as to not poke through. Since pages will have fold out things and flip books, etc, there will be lots of problems with writing without making holes. On the back of this divider is the first Table of Contents. As more are needed, then I'll add in another divider. Opposite the Contents is a chalkboard! I found a blog post on Come Together Kids about making your own paper chalkboards and it's super easy and really works. I just glued it in place and it is ready to go. He can use it for notes or scratch paper, or doodling! There's another secret one on the back. It has a cover flap to prevent getting chalk all over everything and keeps the writing from smudging.
The assignments are on place values and 3 part word problems. I made the subject be Star Wars to go with the workbooks we bought. They're really great, though a bit thin on workload. For place values, I have a chart with flip up sections. Across from it is a flipbook of place values. He would mark each page as being 100-200-300 so on, either by coloring it or using a sticker. Not 100 stickers in each, I'd be out of stickers and the page would be a mess. He would write the qty on the front of the booklet. I'm making a printable version of this with my party theme art on TeachersPayTeachers.
More place value work, just some labels for the squares, color coded them to keep him on track with HTO. And finally, a place value slider. I used some cardstock to make these. The cardstock I used is from Core-dinations, I had won this sampler pack from JoAnn Fabrics several years ago now. They are perfect for making bookmarks, and perfect for little projects like this. I cut it to just short of my paper and used the cut off for the mount. I measured how big the opening should be and it perfectly came out to how many I needed. On the next page are some task cards, just index cards with mini place value assignments.
I'm sure I spent more time making these than he'll spend doing them. Well, he better not spend that long!